Dropzone Commander - PHR (Part 6 - Hades Super-Heavy Walker)

Finally upto the big guy. I decided to articulate my Hades after reading this fantastic forum post. I made some slight changes and went with a 10mm ring magnet with a 6mm ball bearing, instead of having the magnets in the tail gun itself. The 10mm ring magnet fits perfectly in the socket. I added a piece of plasticard underneath it so it would sit flush with the top of the tail


I didn't bother putting a hinge through the join where the tail meets the body, as there was enough friction from the resin to keep it in place.


The gun can articulate fully now and is very secure. Ring magnets are very strong!

The tail folded down, so walker can be picked up by a Poseidon.

I drilled a hole in the center of the model using a 3mm bit. This way I can fit the Hades onto a flight stand.

Here you can see a photo with a widget attached. It's not really visible when the walker is on the ground, but it adds some extra stability rather than having the flight stand stick into the walker itself.

Here's a test fit with my partially painted Poseidon.

The legs have obviously been assembled so that the Hades can fit flush onto the Poseidon. 1mm disc magnets were added into the six leg sockets.

Here I've sprayed the Hades with Menoth White Base over a white undercoat. Then I remembered I forgot to spray on the pre-shading. Doh!

So I went back and pre-shaded it with Tamiya black.


I then re-applied the Menoth White base.

Followed by Menoth White Highlight.



The underside and all the metal parts were painted with Vallejo Air Aluminium by hand.

A wash of Dark Tone was applied to all the metal areas, just like the rest of the army.

Here is a photo with the tail down.

And with the Poseidon attached on top.


And from underneath, where I have glued back on the widget.

So the next stage should be doing the lining and shading on all the beige areas, but it will be across the whole army now that everything is at the same level.

Comments

StrangeDane said…
Amazing project, one I intend to honor by copying it ;)

How deep/thick was the ring magnet?

Also, I am completly new to airbrush, do you touch up the lines you spray dark at the first step?
Andrew said…
Hi Martin,

The ring magnet was 2mm thick. I just got it off ebay from some seller in China (you can order just 1, the total with postage was less than $2).

I didn't touch up the dark lines, I just sprayed over it. It's there to add some depth to the initial colour, and it seemed to have worked to some extent, though I admit I am still a beginner to the technique.
StrangeDane said…
Great then I got the right rings!

Yeah looks amazing! Just wondering, why didn't the white cover the black in the lines? Did you hold the airbrush at a certain angle or something?

Popular Posts