Super Dungeon Explore - Nyan-Nyan Step-by-Step


I recently tried my hand at painting a Nyan-Nyan for the game Super Dungeon Explore by Soda Pop Miniatures. It was an interesting challenge as it is a bit outside what I usually paint. I wanted to stay true to the anime feel and keep the colours bright and clean.

Step by Step

The base had the tab filled with putty and then sanded back with a flat file. I carved back in some of the lines with a sharp blade and scribing tool.


Cleanup was a bit involved - the casting of the restic makes cleaning of some parts very awkward. I ended up removing her arms to get into the hard to reach areas. In the end, I also cut off some bits on the claws due to the casting - it was easier to remove them than to try and repair it.


So the first thing I painted was the eyes. I airbrushed the skin with P3 Midlund Flesh and then begun to paint the eyes.


Here's a sketch my friend made of the rough strokes for anime eyes. I painted the eyes white and then used a black to define the eyes. I then painted in the colour of the pupil - I used the GW colour Emperor's Children, though it looks brown in the photos!


I then proceeded to paint the hair with GW Emperor's Children as well. The skin was given a light highlight with P3 Midlund Flesh + P3 Menoth White Highlight.


The hair was highlighted with GW Emperor's Children + GW Skull White.


P3 Skorn Red was used to line the hair to give it depth. I kept the paint very diluted at this stage.


The yellow cat suit was given a base coat of P3 Rucksack Tan.


Here are all the colours used so far.


The cat suit was highlighted with P3 Rucksack Tan + P3 Menoth White Highlight. The claws and other metals are a mix of P3 Coal Black + Vallejo Air Steel. This gave a nice tinted blue metallic.


The stripes were painted GW Chaos Black and highlighted with P3 Coal Black.


The bell was painted Vallejo German Camo Black Brown.


Finally the white fur trim is painted with P3 Underbelly Blue.


Next I painted the base, using a mix of P3 Iron Hull Grey, P3 Trollblood Highlight, AP Ash Grey, and Vallejo Air Light Grey.


A photo of the finished base and the colours used for the metallics (Vallejo Air Steel + P3 Coal Black).



I used W&N black oil paint to shade the metals, paint it on and rubbing it off the raised areas. This gives a very realistic look the shades, as the oil paints matt the shine in the deepest areas.



The fur trim was highlighted up with P3 Frost Bite then GW Skull White. Finally, her mouth was painted with diluted P3 Skorne Red. Here are some photos of Nyan-Nyan from different angles.






I hope you enjoyed this step-by-step. I am looking forward to painting more chibi miniatures in the future. I believe Nyan-Nyan is due for general release with updated rules for SDE: Forgotten King (the new core set) later this year.

Comments

HaWior said…
Nice and cute. Love her.
Good step by step explanation.

Popular Posts