Friday, May 21, 2010

Canopic Beast

After a bit of delay, I finally got a Canopic Beast from Smart Max's 54mm scale SMOG range. The model comes packaged in a single plastic bag - the left foot had actually snapped off the one I received, though it was a clean break that was easily repaired.
The beast comes in several parts pictured below. The resin is grey, but it seems a bit more brittle with a slight bit of discolouration on the surface. There were some quite horrible mold lines running along the bandages that were very difficult to remove, particularly along the arms and around his torso.
The base is also resin, but it has been cut with a bulking agent. You can see it in the photo below, with all the little dots.
Here is the Canopic Beast all assembled - I did this over two evenings. The first evening, I cleaned up all the pieces with a blade and micro-files.

I then soaked all the pieces overnight in a mix of detergent and water, dried them off in the morning and glued the beast together that evening. Fortunately, all of the pieces fit together very well. I only had to do minimal gap filling behind the head where it joins the neck. The sockets and plugs for the pieces were nice and deep, and quite precise, which meant I didn't to pin this guy at all.

I then put him on a temporary wooden base as I have not decided if I will use the packaged base or not.
Here he is, basecoated with P3 Cryx Bane Base - I applied this with an airbrush, thinned with Tamiya thinner.
I plan to do most of the colouring of the skin using an airbrush, so next was to put in a nice olive green. I used Citadel Foundation Gretchin Green, again thinned with Tamiya thinner.
And a view from the back.
That's all for today! Next up will be to darken the skin along the his spine, and also at the hands and feet with a brown-black tone. I'll also lighten the underbelly with some beige tones.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Malifaux: Death Marshals Update

It's been a while since I've gotten back to Lady Justice and her crew, but I've managed to do some work on them this week to bring them closer to completion. They're certainly at the stage now where they can be used for gaming! Here they are all together:
I finished the skin off on Lady Justice. Most of this was on her boobs, which made it quite fast actually - just gradually worked up Midlund Flesh with Menoth White Highlight. Her lips were finished with Bloodstone mixed with Menoth White Highlight.
The Judge had his hair highlighted from the Trollblood Base basecoat with Menoth White Base and Menoth White Highlight. His gloves were blended up from Calthan Brown with Rucksack Tan.
Here is a shot of the Death Marshalls together. Their coats were highlighted up from Calthan Brown with Rucksack Tan, like the gloves on the Judge.
The following shots show each Death Marshal individually. The coffins were highlighted up with Foundry Drab C, through a combination of edging and drybrushing to pick out the textures in the wood. I then went back and re-lined the planks of wood with Devlan Mud. The nails were picked out with Boltgun Metal, and washed with Badab Black.
The black pants were first highlighted with Adeptus Battle Grey, and then edged with Astronomican Grey. Chaos Black was then applied in thin layers to smooth out the blends, as I find this helps a lot with black to make the highlights less harsh.
The buckles were painted with Brass Balls, and washed with Badab Black. You can't see it very well in the photos, but they all have little sheriff badges which resemble a skull and crossbone.I also added lots of clumps of static flock on the base - these are the MiniNatur pre-clumped grass tufts. They really stand out in the photos, but that's due to the camera, they blend in a lot more with the ground in real life.

I think I need to add some little bones or something to the ground too, it feels like it's missing something. A bit like this bone I saw on my adventures in India last month:
Till next time! Next time I update these guys will probably be the last. Only taken what... six months to paint them? Oh yes, also need glow effects from the blue ghost things coming out of the coffin!

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

OzPainters Daemonette Workshop 2

Last Sunday I went to the second Daemonette Workshop organised by the Sydney/NSW OzPainters. It was great to see a number of people travel from interstate to attend, and also see how everyone's Daemonette had progressed!
We also had some special attendees in the form of kittens who were very excited to jump and investigate everything!

Anyway, here are some photos taken on the day of where my Daemonette is upto in regards to the painting. My biggest problem was that I painted the skin, but I forgot what colours I used due to the one month gap in getting back to painting her (and I didn't check my blog beforehand since I wrote it down in my last entry!). She has ended up a bit more pale than I wanted, but it's ok for a workshop project.
And a shot showing the whole base:
You can see more photos of the other Daemonettes over here at OzPainters.