Wild West Building - Undertaker

Ah, so summer is slowly encroaching and my updates are becoming far and wide between. Fortunately I do have a lot of in-progress posts that require a bit of attention but I should get them out over the next few weeks.

Anyway, something completely different, this is an Aetherworks building that I painted after being inspired by the ones that Rob Jedi is painting up for his town. My one is the single storey building (with the hitching post on the left-hand side). It's been decorated with the appropriate door and window frames and I added a graveyard set to the front to make an Undertaker building. The sign is also an Aetherworks sign designed to go with the buildings but they don't seem to have that up on the store yet.
The basic building has been airbrushed with Tamiya Medium Blue (XF-48). The edges were then airbrushed with black and the center airbrushed with white. The blue was then masked off with low tack masking tape, and the trim painted using Folkart browns, tans and creams. White was added to the cream to finish it off.
The wooden floors were painted with same colours but with a less heavy drybrush to keep more of the dark brown showing through. Roof was painted black, charcoal and then edged with a small amount of white added in.

The coffins were painted grey and drybrushed with white. Finally, the sign was painted with Palmer Soldier Blue, and the writing and edge picked out with Foundry Drab highlight, then highlighted with white.

Here is the palatte I used, it's not that many colours. The best thing is, you can use cheap paints and still get some good results. Having an airbrush really helps though for getting the basic colours down - I might try one by hand one day, but if you were painting a whole town, then investing in an airbrush or a spray gun is well worth it.
Here are the brushes I used - the big brush is really useful for the drybrushing! Especially the floors, but I actually used it on all the trims as well.
And here's some shots of the Undertakers with a few models shown for reference. I'd say size, but I borrowed two hobbits from Victoria's collection that are clearly too short for the building (I don't actually own much Cowboy miniatures).
Here's another shot. I'm going to have to get Nicodem (from Malifaux) painted at some point as this building is clearly designed to go with him!
Anyway, till next time!

Comments

Turelio said…
Looks really good! Well done!
Andrew said…
Thanks! And surprising afterwards how little colours were used (I didn't keep track as I was painting it).
Malkav said…
I really like the last two pictures a lot.

Is the ground / base selfmade or kind of a gaming mat? Would like to do something like this on my own... ;-)
Andrew said…
Hi Malkav,

The ground is a MiniNatur Grass mat that you can buy. It comes exactly as you see it with the grass and ground cover stuck on.
Skyking said…
Incredible work! But up here in the great white north (NE Ohio) it looks like postage for these buildings will cost me around 50% (!!) of the order total. Now even my government isn't up to that yet! Is there a US distrubutor for these?
skyking
Andrew said…
Hi Skyking,

Let me have a think of alternatives on how the postage costs can be brought down! At this stage there are no overseas distributors (and it's unfortunate our exchange rate is so high!).

Popular Posts