Once upon a time, I painted up the four heroes from Hero Quest. You can guess the era from the colour of their bases! I feel the time has come to give these guys a proper restoration and bring them up to the quality they deserve (I'm not particularly attached to my old paint jobs, though I'll probably keep the colours reminiscent of their existing schemes).
As you can see, the Barbarian has a broken sword, so first-thing-first, time for a repair. My friend Rob Jedi suggested I use a plastic cocktail skewer - these turned out pretty close in width and let me choose the length I wanted. Pulling out a spare Barbarian from another set of Hero Quest as reference, I went to work.
I used a brass-etched saw blade to remove the remains of the original blade, and then cleaned up the hilt with a triangular file so I could get right into the corners. I then measured up the sword and did a cut with the saw again to get a clean edge.
Next, I used a 1mm drill bit to drill out a hole, going …
Ah, so summer is slowly encroaching and my updates are becoming far and wide between. Fortunately I do have a lot of in-progress posts that require a bit of attention but I should get them out over the next few weeks.
Anyway, something completely different, this is an Aetherworks building that I painted after being inspired by the ones that Rob Jedi is painting up for his town. My one is the single storey building (with the hitching post on the left-hand side). It's been decorated with the appropriate door and window frames and I added a graveyard set to the front to make an Undertaker building. The sign is also an Aetherworks sign designed to go with the buildings but they don't seem to have that up on the store yet.
The basic building has been airbrushed with Tamiya Medium Blue (XF-48). The edges were then airbrushed with black and the center airbrushed with white. The blue was then masked off with low tack masking tape, and the trim painted using Folkart browns, tans and c…