Friday, January 14, 2011

Grey Seer Thanquol - WIP Part 1

I've had this miniature around for a long time now - the classic Grey Seer Thanquol sculpt by Jes Goodwin. There's something about the Skaven character models from the 1990's that really make them stand out and appeal to me (and I'm still trying to acquire a Lord Skrolk).

These are work in progress photos from last year - but now that the Skaven are getting some reinforcements in the January releases, I thought I'd put together a post with my work in progress photos. It might even encourage me to finish him off!

So let's start with the skin... Since I had some good results with the flesh on Death Master Snikch, I thought I'd use the same formula for Thanquol, so I started with a black undercoat.

This was followed with a few thinned coats of Tallarn Flesh, about four or five coats to give a smooth opaque finish.

Two washes of Ogryn Flesh Wash followed, to make sure it really got into the recesses.

Now back to the Tallarn Flesh, a thinned layer on the raised areas, leaving the darker washed colours in the recesses.


Next, a layer of Tallarn Flesh mixed with Bleached Bone for the of highlights, working my way up to pure Bleached Bone. I also made a start on the robes with a basecoat of Charadon Granite.



Here I've started painting the metallics with a thin coat of Chainmail on the blade. The horns have been basecoated with Graveyard Earth. His fur has been given a basecoat of Astronomican Grey.


A few weeks later here, and I have added highlights on the robes, blending up with Kommando Khaki and Menoth White Highlight. He's also been given a new base, made up with Knead-It.


You can see the base better in this shot - I've painted it with a basecoat of Snakebite Leather. I've also highlighted the green parts of his clothing by adding in Rotting Flesh, and painted the gold with Burnished Gold. 

The warpstone has been painted with Scorpion Green, highlighted by mixing in Skull White. The little pouches are Ultramarine Blue, highlighted by mixing in Skull White. 

The horns have been highlighted by mixing in Bleached Bone with Graveyard Earth, working my way up to pure Bleached Bone and then to Skull White.


Here is a back shot - I need a few more layers of Chainmail on the Blade before I can start the shading and highlights on it.


Guess I'll have to start taking him to work again this week and finish him off during the lunch hour! 

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dark Eldar Archon

I did this guy up for the North Sydney Paint Club - I converted him to have a little pet, made from the dragon familiar in the High Elf dragon box set. Though I glued him all together with the pet and all, which in hindsight was not a great idea as it made some bits really difficult to paint. There's a lot I could probably do to improve him, but I'm just happy I finished one miniature in the last few weeks I've had off. He was a lot of fun to paint to start off with, but became a bit of a drag to finish off all those little details, and in the end I rushed the cloak a bit just to get it finished.

Anyway, here are the pics:


And a montage shot:


He's currently at GW North Sydney if you want to take a look.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Warlord Queek Headtaker

So here's part 2 of my Golden Demon entries.

I got Queek the same time I got Death Master Snikch. When Games Workshop opened in North Sydney near where I work, I decided I'd start a lunch time project. Eventually Queek became my Australian Golden Demon entry in the Warhammer Single category for 2010.


And the montage shot:


Here are a collection of WIP photos as I painted him slowly over a course of two months at Games Workshop during my lunch breaks. This is Queek out of the blister, there was a lot of bits to clean up and bend back into shape.



The basic figure assembled and pinned together. The back banner was left separate due to it's size and unwieldiness.



Undercoated black, and started doing the skin with Tallarn Flesh.



A bit more progress - the skin is basically done, with an Ogryn Flesh wash and highlighted with Tallarn Flesh and Bleached Bone. The red armour is painted with Mecharite Red.



From the front:


And the back:


A bit more work with the armour, highlighting it with Blood Red, Blazing Orange, and picking out the edges.


From the side:


Just seeing how he looked against a blue backdrop. You can see more work done on the non-armour bits such as the loincloth and the fur.


Mounted on my trusty green marble painting plinth:


Working up the metallics at this stage such as the gold bits:


These rats were cute but not fun to paint, as it was hard to pick out some of the details due to the casting, such as the little claws.

Monday, January 10, 2011

LOTR Saruman

It's been a while since I've updated - after Golden Demon Oz, I ended up on an overseas stint for next month in India, and then got back in time for Christmas and New Years craziness. And tomorrow I am back at work... but I have a few update to make over the course of the week, so let's start with Saruman.

I did this guy up for GD OZ 2010 - he was a finalist but didn't place. There were some better entries, some of them even had freehand, which always has a soft spot with the judges.


Anyway, Saruman. You have seen him before in my Playing with GW Washes post - so yeah, he's spent a while on my painting table! I basically just worked up all the highlights and shades to try and get strong contrast and transitions in the folds.

It was tricky to try and get some more natural colours for the beard and hair without it blending into the already white robes. In the end, I used a lot of grey washes to get some different colours. Here's a montage shot of him:


Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of more work in progress shots other than the first link, but if you have any questions on the painting, let me know.