So recently, I received my rewards from the Conan kickstarter by Monolith Games. What a crazy box of miniatures! Since I had painted the Hero Quest barbarian and blogged about it recently, I thought I'd show you a comparison of the Conan miniatures so you can see the scale and size difference.
It's a shame the light grey plastic fails to show off the details, but it definitely is quite a nice Conan miniature! Here's a photo of the awesome Amari miniature from Reaper's Pathfinder range as a comparison.
Amari (and the Reaper range in general) are better scaled with the original Hero Quest miniatures, but having said that, the Conan game does it's best to give you a full complement of heroes, anti-heroes and denizens if you wish to use them in your dungeon crawling game.
PS. Yes that is Sedition Wars in the background. More on that one next time.
Recently I have been reading the rules for Team Yankee with the aim to paint up a small playable force - I eventually settled on a Soviet Afghantsy force, but when the Harrier Jump Jets for the British were released, I couldn't resist painting some up.
The reason was because as a 7-year old child, I had received this kit - the actual model has long been lost in the midst of time, but I can still remember assembling it and studying the colour scheme to determine how to paint it (along with a trip to the model shop to get all the necessary colours, in enamel no less!). So seeing the Team Yankee release, I was determined to paint up a box in the old faithful colour scheme.
With the Team Yankee versions, they come mostly pre-assembled, with a few extreme details such as the nose, wing armaments and tail fins to be attached. I had done all of this but left the armaments till last as I knew they'd be mostly a uniform green colour, and it would allow me access to paint the underside…
The Sedition Wars board game comes with some great sci-fi bases, all in hard plastic. I'll go through my process of painting them in this blog post.
I start by sticking them down with blu-tac (or whatever your local equivalent is) to a big board, and give the whole lot an undercoat of Chaos Black spray.
With an airbrush, I use Vallejo Air German Grey and spray all the main big areas of the bases, leaving a darker gap along details such as panel lines.
I follow this with a second spray on a progressively smaller area of Vallejo Air Light grey. I then use the airbrush to pick out areas which I want lit up with P3 Arcane Blue (thinned with Windex). This is the start of the lighting effects on the bases.
I then use a sponge (just a corner ripped off the foam backing in a blister pack) to dab on scratches. The scratches are Vallejo German Camo Black Brown.
I then had some Anarchy Stencils handy, so I jused a few to airbrush on some writing and designs onto a few of the bases. I used V…