This is what dawn breaking on the morning of Golden Demons looks like. Unfortunately in the mad rush to get things finished I don't have many photos at this stage but I'll show you what I have (this is also the last Work in Progress update).
So here he is all glued together from different angles - the metal on the claw was the last big area to be finished using Boltgun Metal, Chaos Black and Mithril Silver:
A shot from the top. I added in some brown washes to the joins of the black armour using Mig Rust pigment mixed with water.
Another shot from the front:
And a shot from the back:
And my trusty reference books:
So after this lot of photos, I did a final going over and picked out further highlights on the tubes and some general cleanup and weathering, and then it was off to Golden Demon day!
And finally after all that, it was time to glue him to the base and see him come together.
I tried to make sure that he was imposing but wouldn't fall over under his own weight - a 40mm base is way too small for this model so it was an interesting challenge to make him balance!
Gluing the head on. Now the end is in sight!
And a top view, trying to make sure the viewer is drawn to his face by following the lines on the horns.
Here's the finished jaw piece with the weathering on the teeth.
And the stikk launchers I removed, painted in the same black and red scheme.
Here you can see the grill piece glued on. I was quite worried that it would cover up all the interesting visual elements of the face at first but in the end it worked out ok.
And from another angle.
With the banner glued on - I wanted to ensure the tones of the horns were different but had enough similarity to indicate they were bone. Using the same patterns on the horns achieved this, even though I used quite different colour palattes.
And finally, the right arm is glued on.
Now there's still the matter of finishing the left arm...
I thought I'd better take some photos of the base as I hadn't done that in a while! Not much changed, other than some deeper shading in the metail of the shovel, and some more highlights of the grenade and the wooden blanks.
They also come in a larger pack which I'll probably pick up next once this one runs out. But usually I am pretty sparing with them as I don't think you need to flood a base with too many tufts.
Here is a shot from a different angle:
Here's Ghazghkull from the back - the machinery on his back is a nightmare! All that guitar-wire style tubing is only fun to paint if it is cleanly cast, but usually on metal models there is some unevenness or soft detail due to the casting.
A side shot where you can see the cabling being slowly picked out.
I started on the gun itself with a base-coat of Boltgun Metal followed by a wash of Badab Black (the usual).
And the left arm with the weathering on the red finished. I have also picked out most of the cables, though I know the metal claws and brass bits will be a nightmare to paint due to the fiddly angles.
Now we're getting down to the business end of things. The 10% of the miniature that takes up the 90% of the time! I knew this would be a massive exercise in weathering, but I was resolved to do all the chips and scratches using a paint brush rather than resorting to sponges and salt masks.
On the back-banner I finished off the red skull glyph by highlighting with Menoth White Highlight around the edges, and then applying weathering on top.
I started weathering the main plates on the claw arm using the same technique. It was a bit more difficult on the arm as the plates weren't as nicely defined in the cast as I would have liked, and a lot of the deeper areas ended up just being blocked and lined with a brown-black wash.
The back of the left arm.
The right arm was similar, except there was just the one shoulder pad to weather up with red paint.
And then slowly working my way around the body - the red is weathered the same as the other red bits, and the black is edged and chipped using Boltgun Metal.
A back shot:
Here's what the red looks like on the metal teeth before weathering is applied. I try to go for a smooth transition on the highlights and push the level up an extra step or two as the weathering will really bring it back to a darker tone once applied.
The head had the gums and tongue highlighted more, and though you can't see it here, a coat of Tamiya gloss over the top to give it some shine.
A dry fit of Ghazghkull - yeah it looks like the left arm is about to fall off as there's no glue.
Another shot of Ghazghkull. You can see most of the unfinished detail is on the top of him. I like leaving this till last so I can get a better visualisation of how he'll come together with all the different colours and parts.
And for those who have been asking, he's mounted temporarily on some wooden bases I had lying around - these are a nice alternative to cork for large models where their size and weight gets a bit unwieldy.
And I can reuse them again once I pop Ghazghkull off as he is just pinned in with a small drop of superglue.